Friday, August 8, 2014

Triangle Collage

Thank you all so much for your prayers while we have 2 hurricanes pass above and below our Hawaiian islands.  The news report says there are some damaged areas, but not as bad as we all had braced ourselves for.  I actually was placed on standby for work and decided to play a bit!

I ran across the Moxie Fab Fabulous Friday Challenge using this picture as an inspiration



Fun right?!  I was inspired by the clock, colors, white numbers and triangles.
Here's my card...



I had several ideas on how I was going to make all those colorful triangles, but quickly realized I didn't have a lot of shades of cardstock to get the look of the inspiration photo.  It took a bit of time, but the end result was fun.

Here's what I did:
1.  Taking white cardstock, I white heat embossed the clock and sentiment.
2.  Then cut up the paper into various triangles (tip: keep the pieces layed out together, trust me it saves a lot of time!)
3.  I inked up each triangle with a different Distress Ink, sometimes blending a few colors to get the right shade (sponge daubers are my friend!)
4.  I took a piece of white paper and ran a glue runner all over it and used it to adhere all my triangles.
5.  Then trim the edges to get a clean look and adhere to card front!

The stamp set is a Hero Arts one called Special Time compliments of Lynn's Craft Blog for Ben Franklin Crafts!  I received a bunch of goodies for guessing where her vacay pictures were taken.  Mahalo Lynn!!!

That's it for me...for now!  I hope to get some ideas together for the latest March submission call for Paper Crafts and Scrapbooking.  There were some fun categories.  Have you thought about submitting for publication?  Even if you don't get chosen I've found quite a few pros about the concept.  One being you have a bunch of cards ready for the upcoming holiday, you also have cards made in advance for future blog posts and it's just plain fun to create and try new styles/techniques.

Off I go!  Mahalo for stopping by!!




12 comments:

  1. I'm glad you liked the stamp set and other craft goodies. Your card is a fabulous take on the

    ReplyDelete
  2. challenge. Your version is very eye-catching.

    ReplyDelete
  3. whew, so glad you guys are okay.
    Love what you've done...your card is excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are all ok!! I love love love this! LOVING the colors!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glar you're OK! Your ard is AWESOME!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you guys are okay after the storms. There was no damage and sunny skies on Ko Olina afterwards. I'm back in Texas now and really enjoyed Hawaii! Must visit again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful design and interpretation, Niki! Love the colors! Stay safe and I am glad that the hurricanes left! (Phew!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad that you are safe and still able to play and make this fabulous card..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you're okay! I was thinking of you during the storm. :)

    Your card is so fab and fun! I couldn't figure out how you made it (until I read)--I love that! The mix of colors is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this! It's perfect for the inspiration picture. Great jog for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Holy smokes! This is awesome, Niki!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments truly make my day,
so please send one my way! ;o)

More to Love!